Sunday, June 18, 2006

Rollercoaster -- UP

I've described living with an alcoholic as a rollercoaster ride. Times of abstinence -- good. Times of binging -- bad. Up / Down / Up / Down. Well we are UP right now. Why? Only J**** knows.
  • Going to Jail next weekend could be a reason.
  • Maybe he decided he hit his rock bottom and is going to stay sober.
  • Maybe it's just a time of abstinence and then he'll fall and we will be Rollercoaster - DOWN.
  • Maybe it's because he can't drive and go get alcohol.
But BHP would tell me -- why are you worried about it? That's a lot of Maybes. I can't control his drinking. But always there is this wondering in the back of my mind: Are we done now? Has he started back again? How long will this last? When will he start again?

J**** without alcohol is about as miserable as J**** with alcohol just a different set of miseries.
  • Withdrawal from family by constantly staying in bed in a depressed state.
  • Irritable and short tempered with me and the children.
  • He is down on everyone and thinks everyone is against him.
  • Thinks he should be excused for his reactions to those around him because he's "in withdrawal and really is fighting cravings."
  • Doesn't play with his children or "pull his weight."
  • I become a BITCH.
I know I sound like I can't be satisfied, but I'd just like to know if stability is going to be possible with J**** around or is life with him going to stay all UPs and DOWNs like a rollercoaster. (Get's me to thinking -- this is a pretty sad UP.)

Updates:
  • J**** is also abstaining from all drugs. In order to serve his jail term out on weekends, he has to take a urine drug test. He is abstaining from marijuana in order to do this.
  • F**** spent the night with Aunt D***** and discussed divorce. F**** said it would be best and she's six.
  • He went to church with me again this morning -- it was like pulling teeth and then we took him out for Father's Day lunch.
  • F**** and G***** had their dance recital on Friday night -- see my Flick'r pics of them in costume. As a good friend said to me "Disgustingly Cute." They were the brightest shining stars on the stage that night, at least in my eyes they were.
  • We went to the fair Saturday night there's new pics of that also.
I want out -- but how do I tell him being the enabler that I am? He will literally lose everything: No home, no family, no way to get around. How can I do that to him? I've been taught to forgive as the Bible says, "Seventy times seven." I know what he has done to me, but how... How can I abandon someone that way?

I know -- Do it for the kids, it's not about me, it's not about him, it's about them. I think I need to chat with my Al-Anon friends for a while because it's damn hard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's true you are called to forgive but you are NOT called to continue in a dangerous environment. Of course you forgive him but you also have to be mother. The kids are young. He has plenty of time to clean up his act but it is HIS choice.

You talked about him possibly thinking he hit rock bottom and then later you ask how you could leave him with nothing. I ask you...which is rock bottom? where he is now or where he will be when the divorce is final? I dunno...and I'm really in no position to make this statement as I have no use for the man...but perhaps a final divorce may wake him up.

For his sake I hope so.