Thursday, January 11, 2007

The Old Farmer's Almanac & J Turns 30

The Old Farmer's Almanac is a cool resource -- mainly used by -- Old Farmer's.

Anyway...

When I quit smoking back in November -- I went to the "Best Days" Chart and it suggested the best day to stop smoking would be on November 12. I'm still smoke free. Well, today is the day for starting a diet to lose weight. So -- why not -- it's the new year and if you go look at Sis' blog -- she's lost 4.4 pounds. Can't let her outdo me now. hehehehe

No -- I've been planning this for a while, my back hurts, my knees hurt, my ankles hurt. It hurts my knees to go up the stairs, it hurts my ankles to go down the stairs, it hurts my lower back to move from a sitting or lying down position. I'd imagine with the excess weight on me -- if I was a knee, ankle, or back -- I'd hurt too. Since, I've stopped smoking, I've gained at least 10 pounds. Now I have acid reflux really bad, so I had better take better care of myself. Got three purty young'ns to raise -- I need to stay healthy and strong to wrassle that boy I got - cuz he's a handful. Sorry, farmer's git me talkin' all suthern n stuff.

Now you may be asking -- where do they come up with this stuff. Well, the Babylonians worshipped the stars and were the first astrologers -- so I guess this is all heathen stuff, but anyway's my mother-in-law swears by it, my Papaw said it works -- so... why not?

--------------------

Happy Birthday to You!!!!

On 1-11-1977, on a very snowy day, J**** was born at 10:00 on the dot. Not one minute before, not one minute after. Very fast labor, he was in a hurry and they barely made it to the delivery room.

Three weeks clean and sober today!!! Proud of ya. -- Correction four weeks.

He goes for a job interview on Monday and hopefully begins at a factory here in our town, third shift sometimes next week. This is the first time since we've been together in April of 1999 that he can honestly say that HE by himself, without cleansing solutions, or using another person's urine (yuck), can pass a drug piss test.

He has gone to church with us the last two Sundays.

He has been helpful around the house.

Right now -- he is Mr. Wonderful and it is his birthday -- so everyone, NO criticisms, pat him on the back. Today is HIS day.

Story about his birthday on January 11, 2000. J**** had received a DUI in the fall of 1999. He had to report to jail on January 12. On January 11 - his birthday, he was to go to the courthouse to meet with the county jailer and pay the fees associated with his work release and to complete his paperwork. When he left the courthouse, he went out the backdoor and it locked behind him. There was extensive construction going on to the structure and the path back to the front door was blocked. J**** had to pee. He has a small bladder. He was sober. He snuck behind a car (remember country folks) and began to pee. Out comes running the police officers -- the car, happened to belong to the Sheriff. He was taken promptly taken to jail for indecent exposure and something else. Kind of comical when you look back on it. My ex-brother-in-law used to keep a copy of the news article on his garage wall for posterity -- "Local Man Urinates on Sheriff's Car." Yep HEADLINES baby. His 15 minutes of fame.

--------------------

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully these baby steps will lead to real progress. Your family certainly deserves to be a family. Thank you for sharing so much of your life so honestly. I know it's not easy hearing all the time what you're doing 'wrong'...life is tough, period.

You are doing the best you can. I know that I come down on you a little bit too harshly sometimes...even though I don't "know" you, your writing has affected me because of your honesty and I truly want you and your family to be happy.

I am sorry if J feels vicitimized or like we are picking on him. Your responses to his comments are spot on.

It just feels sometimes like when you are watching a horror movie and the babysitter opens the closet door and you want to scream "DON'T OPEN THE CLOSET DOOR YOU IDIOT!" (not saying you are an idiot...far from it! :))

Many of us are probably reliving our own experiences with alcoholic family members and we don't want the same for you, and especially for your kids.

You yourself have very eloquently expressed these thoughts too and I think that's why you get such a strong reaction from the peanut gallery. We are all pulling for you, even though sometimes it may not seem that way. We are pulling for you and for your gorgeous kids.

As far as J goes, we are treating you like our little sister, so we are going to naturally be a little protective of you....he is going to have to prove himself to be worthy of you...and it sounds like things are heading in the right direction. Here's hoping they stay that way. Happy New Year to all!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on kicking smoking, Nay! I hope the weight loss goes just as well.

Isn't it four weeks clean and sober for J (26 days a couple of days ago)?? Anyway, happy birthday and good luck to him.

Anonymous said...

isn't the big day sometime soon? Thought it was today. You are following through right?