Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The Greatest Man I ever Knew

Papaw was born 103 years ago today. He died when he was 99 years and 3 months. Every year on his birthday he would say I'm X number of years and 9 months old today. He was a firm believer that when you are conceived you begin life, when you are born you are already 9 months in existence. So -- HE MADE IT to 100 in his eyes.

He had the most beautiful blue grey eyes you have ever seen and they were full of wisdom. Even though all he had was a third grade education he was the smartest man I have ever known. He read the Bible through at least two times. As a farmer he knew the seasons and the earth's planting and harvesting cycles and could tell you what the weather was like on this day in any given year of his life (this day in 1936 over 100 degrees and the year he was born there was a drought.) He knew everything needed to get by in this world. His dry wit could make anyone smile. People from miles around in the church knew and respected Mr. W*****. I hope to see him again one day.

I have learned many lessons from this man.

Guide, Guard,and Direct Us...

Papaw taught me faith in the Lord because he will not place more on me than I can bear. Never have I seen him out of control, angered or overly worried. His faith in God was unfaltering. Everytime he said blessing before a meal - "Heavenly Father accept our thanks for this food and all the many blessing of life, forgive us of our sins, guide, guard and direct us on through life, in Jesus name we pray, Amen" Even though he was 99 he still prayed for the "aged." He trusted in the Lord. When he was in the hospital, I asked him. "Papaw, what are you going to do when you get out of here? You can come home with me." He looked at me with those soulful eyes and said, "You don't have to worry about that, I know where I am going." He died the next day in the hospital, peacefully.

Every Tub Has to Sit on Its Own Bottom...

Papaw taught me about accountability. I was visiting him one day and I was worried about my husband. I told him that I couldn't get him interested in the Lord and I wanted to know what I could do to save him. "What Papaw can I do?" Papaw just shook his head and said, "There's nothing you can do, every tub has to sit on its own bottom."

There are many lessons and stories I could tell about this wonderful husband, father, grandfather, worker, friend, and child of God. But, I'm not sure there is enough space on the internet to sing all of his praises.

I miss him today, but remembering him today is helping me to recover. To remember that I need to trust in my Lord to help me and those that I love at all times. To pray without ceasing and to accept the fact that I am accountable for myself and I can't live someone else's life for them. I told you he was a very wise man.

I wish he were here today to make me laugh, to hear his happy whistling, to nudge him in church when he dozed off, to sit with him and his silent wisdom, which was usually his way, as he gently patted me on the leg, to take him on long trips and hear him tell about his life, to take him to the cemetery to put flowers on Granny's grave and hear him say how they never had a fight (Granny may disagree).

But, I am happy because I know that today he is walking the street of gold looking down at me and shaking his head and silently patting me on the leg.

7/11/1903 - 10/3/2002 + 9 months

2 comments:

Nay said...

Wish you could have known him -- Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking of nothing but him for the past couple days. I miss him and granny soooo much. You did it again little sister, I'm crying like a baby. But they are happy tears.

xoxoxoxoxo