Friday, July 07, 2006

Al-Anon Share

I am usually quiet in the Al-Anon sessions, I wanted to share today but we ran out of time. If there had been enough time -- this would have been my share -- if any of you are reading MIP brothers/sisters. Thank you.

While listening to Today's meeting my A called and asked "whatcha doing?"
I told him I am participating in an online al-anon session
"whatcha learning?" I told him what one of you said.
"when I am pointing the finger at him, I am pointing four back at me"
"what does that mean to you?" he asked.
When I'm mad at you I should ask myself why I am so angry and try to understand myself and you.
He says that when I bitch at him -- it makes him feel small and insignificant that his guilt gets worse and he then uses it as an excuse for another drink.
He was in a program once and they told him a craving lasts 7 seconds -- so he'll look at me sometimes when I am ranting and say "7 seconds babe."
If I wait those 7 seconds with him and stop my ranting -- and use the silence to think, my need to rant goes away -- just like a craving.
Believe me! 7 seconds can feel like a lifetime.
Guess his call today was timely -- thank you HP.
I'm learning and he's learning.
Patience is definitely a virtue.
Thank you all for your inspiration to me (My MIP brothers and sisters.)
done.

2 comments:

Nay said...

Guess it's kind of like when our mama's told us to count to 10.

Anonymous said...

Short and very sweet. Mine is long, but I hope to get shorter as I get into it. Just a beginner at blogging, but a longtime in Al-Anon. I love listening to others! So keep on bloggging!! http://alanonlife.blogspot.com :-)