Thursday, February 01, 2007

How I Got My Job

February 1 today is my 6 year anniversary at my job.

I had been unemployed since May of 2000 and the reserve money was dwindling down. F**** was born at the end of May 2000 and I was thankful for the opportunity to be home with her for that amount of time. But the time had come to find a job.

I have always been taught and believe Matthew 6:

25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment? 26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they? 27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature? 28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: 29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith? 31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? 32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
We were moving into a duplex, I had to sell my house. Ms. F**** was 9 months old and had just started to walk. I had applied for this job and several others. I had received correspondence back from this agency saying "Thank you, but you are over qualified." So, I was still looking. I had interviewed with the agency for another department and was runner up to an in-house person looking to transfer. So, still looking. We had the phone installed and were moving in on January 30 - my Mother-in-law had just plugged in the phone and walked down the hall. The phone rang...we just looked at each other, hmmmmm. I answered it and it was this agency calling, in fact it was the same person that sent me the Thank you, No Thank you Letter.

Here's how my starting here worked out:

Employer: Hello, you just interviewed for such and such position. I was wondering if you would be interested in an equivalent position in my department.

Me: Why sure, when would you like me to come in for an interview?

Employer: Well, the committee that interviewed you for the other position was impressed with your skills so if you are interested, when can you start?

Me: (silence, in shock) I can start right now if you would like.

Employer: How about this? You come in tomorrow, fill out all of your paper work and start on the first. That is the beginning of our pay period.

Me: That would be great, ummm, I know this may sound petty but how much will I be making?

Employer: It starts off with a salary of $32,500 is that okay.

Me: Oh that is just fine - I'll see you tomorrow.

God provided me with a job to take care of my family, with a job that allows me to be flexible with my time to put my children as priority, God has provided me with two caring supervisors that I am also proud to call my friends.

I had faith in God that he would provide me with a job and the means to maintain a home. But, the passage says that the Lord knows WHAT you NEED. I didn't know at that time that I needed more than a job and a means. God knew that I needed flexible, caring individuals. He knew that I needed friends that trusted him as I do - my coworkers. He put together four individuals who have all faced the same problems with family members and addictions, with al-anon, with coping, and growing up.

The good Lord provides - for that I am thankful. Thanks M*** for reminding me that it was going to be my anniversary. Thanks to S**** for being bold and saying "Hey - hire her."

To God give the praise, and I thank Him for my job.

No comments: