Tuesday, June 26, 2007

I Hate this Post...

I was hoping I would never have to blog about this again.

He has started drinking again. I was understanding when he fell off the wagon 21 days ago -- but he is still drinking. Not everyday -- but at least once a week.

When he originally fell off the wagon after over two years of sobriety, it started like this. Once a week. He can't just drink one beer, he has to drink multiple beers. I do believe he is drunk today.

What am I going to do? I don't know. Here's my minds ramblings about the situation.
  • His mama says -- search everywhere and find his stash and pour it out. Well I don't have time for all of that and it in itself is an effort in futility - if he wants it that bad, he'll get it another way.
  • Threaten him -- remind him the divorce is still active and has never been dropped?
  • Sit him down and talk and tell him how I really feel -- while he avoids the subject, changes the topic, does something else...
  • Give up
  • Run away
  • Play little Ms. Mary Sunshine and say -- "Oh, it isn't that bad." and ignore it (Oh yeah, that's what my Mama would do.)
  • I'm inclined to tell him to leave and go live with his dad, drive his dad's car and take care of his dad until he can grow up and put us and God first in his life.
Okay -- Let's do this logically -- Here's an article on relapse:

Alcohol Relapse

Rates of Alcohol Relapse - My Angst In Red

Approximately 90% of individuals who had a problem with alcohol experience at least one relapse in the four years (4 years, hell it ain't even been one year) following treatment (What treatment?) (Polich, 1981). Similar relapse rates occur for recovering smokers and heroin addicts. This suggests that many addictive behaviors may share the same behavioral, biochemical, and cognitive components (Hunt, 1971).

Reasons for Alcohol Relapse

In a study done by Marlatt, GA; it was found that the shift from the first drink (following a period of abstinence) to excessive relapse drinking is dependent on an individual's reaction to that drink. The study found that a majority of relapses were triggered by three situations that the researchers deemed high risk: anger/frustration, temptation, and social pressure. (When he first started back -- I don't really know how any of these were factors -- our money situation was good, we were doing things together as a family -- I think the social pressure and the craving was getting to him.)

Preventing Alcohol Relapse

* Maintain stability - resist the urge to move, travel, assume a new job, or make any drastic life changes that could induce stress and drinking (NEW JOB? yeah he got a job but he never had a real job before this, now I fear he'll end up losing this one.)
* Join a support group (choose one that is a good fit for you) (He refuses)
* Have a daily reflection period (Nope)
* Take responsibility for you actions (Blames everyone else right now, his parents, me, the kids stressing him out, no sleep, his coworkers, you name it.)
* Take control of your life, don't procrastinate and let things slide -- PLEASE!!!

A Great site with some great insight -- WOW - RELAPSE SIGNS.

Relapse Signs and Symptoms - Things I've Noticed are Highlighted

Experiencing Post Acute Withdrawal: I start having problems with one or more of the following; thinking difficulties, emotional overreaction problems, sleep disturbances, memory difficulties, becoming accident prone, and/or starting to experience a serious sensitivity to stress.

Return To Denial: I stop telling others what I’m thinking/feeling and start trying to convince myself or others that everything is all right, when in fact it is not.

Avoidance And Defensive Behavior: I start avoiding people who will give me honest feedback and/or I start becoming irritable and angry with them.

Starting To Crisis Build: I start to notice that ordinary everyday problems become overwhelming and no matter how hard I try, I can’t solve my problems.

Feeling Immobilized (Stuck): I start believing that there is nowhere to turn and no way to solve my problems. I feel trapped and start to use magical thinking.

Becoming Depressed: I start feeling down-in-the dumps and have very low energy. I may even become so depressed that I start thinking of suicide.

Compulsive And/Or Impulsive Behaviors (Loss Of Control): I start using one or more of the following- food, sex, caffeine, nicotine, work, gambling, etc. often in an out of control fashion. And/or I may react without thinking of the consequences of my behavior on myself and others.

Urges And Cravings (Thinking About Drinking/Using): I begin to think that alcohol/drug use is the only way to feel better. I start thinking about justifications to drink/use and convince myself that using is the logical thing to do.

Chemical Loss Of Control (Drinking/Using): I find myself drinking/using again to solve my problems. I start to believe that “it’s all over ‘till I hit bottom, so I may as well enjoy this relapse while it’s good.” My problems continue to get worse.

Adapted from Terence T. Gorski's Warning Sign Identification Process
THE TEN MOST COMMON RELAPSE DANGERS

1. Being in the presence of drugs or alcohol, drug or alcohol users, or places where you used or bought chemicals.
2. Feelings we perceive as negative, particularly anger; also sadness, loneliness, guilt, fear, and anxiety.
3. Positive feelings that make you want to celebrate.
4. Boredom.
5. Getting high on any drug.
6. Physical pain.
7. Listening to war stories and just dwelling on getting high.
8. Suddenly having a lot of cash.
9. Using prescription drugs that can get you high even if you use them properly.
10. Believing that you no longer have to worry (complacent). That is, that you are no longer stimulated to crave drugs/alcohol by any of the above situations, or by anything else – and therefore maybe it’s safe for you to use occasionally.

RELAPSE ATTITUDES


SOBRIETY IS BORING
I’LL NEVER DRINK/USE AGAIN
I CAN DO IT MYSELF
I’M NOT AS BAD AS …..
I OWE THIS ONE TO ME
MY PROBLEMS CAN’T BE SOLVED
I WISH I WAS HAPPY
I DON’T CARE
IF NOBODY ELSE CARES, WHY SHOULD I?
THINGS HAVE CHANGED
I CAN SUBSTITUTE
THEY DON’T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT
THERE’S GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY
I CAN’T CHANGE THE WAY I THINK
IF I MOVE, EVERYTHING WILL CHANGE
I LIKE MY OLD FRIENDS
I CAN DO THINGS DIFFERENTLY
NOBODY NEEDS TO KNOW HOW I FEEL
I’M DEPRESSED
I SEE THINGS MY WAY ONLY
I FEEL HOPELESS
I CAN HANDLE IT
IF I HIDE BEHIND EVERYONE ELSE’S PROBLEMS, I WON’T
HAVE TO FACE MY OWN
I CAN’T DO IT
WHY TRY

I really need to think this one over and sit him down and have a long long talk. I do love him. I'm disappointed in him, but... I'm going to ask him -- what's it going to be bud? Me or your bud?

7 comments:

Joy said...

Hang in there! No matter how things work out, they will work out for the best. I've been in your place and am now divorced. I will pray your man chooses you instead of the drink!

Dana said...

I am so sorry that you are living this pain again. If you want to chat... my email is daallen34@hotmail.com, my Yahoo Messenger ID is dana1964allen, and if you ask i'll share my phone#. Sometimes it's good to have an ear to bend that's not family or close friend. I wish there were more I could do than keeping you close in my thoughts. Prayers of peace, tranquility, and healing energy being sent your way.

Dana

MeHereNow said...

Hi I've been away for a while dealing with my own "demons" while none of mine are anywhere near as bad as yours I've come to the conclusion that you can't help someone who doesn't want your help. PLEASE PLEASE think over and over before you put yourself and your precious babies through this again.

Lots of love and prayers from across the Atlantic x

GUYK said...

In the final analysis no one can help an alcoholic but the alcoholic. Alcohol abuse is a problem but most f the time ..if not all of the time..it is a symptom of another emotional problem. We alkies use (or used) the booze to hide behind and to mask some kind of emotional pain that comes from a roblem we just can't face otherwise. If we ever learn to deal with this pain without the boze than we can quit the booze or at least control the drinking like normal people.

I believe that once an alcoholic always an alcoholic and I know that I am one cold beer away from being shit faced. Consequently I promise myself every day that I will not drink that first one and seldom am I even tempted anymore.

Falling off the wagon happens..but those who want to get sober climb back on. It is up to him and just because he did not drink for several months does not mean he was sober..just dry. Sometimes it takes
an awakening before an alcoholic can dry out and get sober and loosing a family can do that. But then again it can give the alkie the excuse to just stay drunk. But it is his problem and only yours if you enable him.

I do hope it works out for you. I will be back on sweetthing's half acre next week..have him e-mail me and Ill give him my phone number. I will be more than glad to talk to im..maybe I can help..I don't know.

Anonymous said...

one year ago:

http://estranged-enabler.blogspot.com/2006/07/introspection.html

Anonymous said...

I hate this post too. When are you going to update us?

Syd said...

It sounds as if you need to get to an Al-Anon meeting. You can't stop what your husband is doing but you can help yourself feel better. It doesn't matter what your husband does as you can learn through Al-Anon to take care of yourself.