Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Topsy Turvy



I think I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown on Wednesday of last week. My stomach was tearing me up so I called into work sick for that day. I finally last night finished a two-week plus period and things were just out of control. Oh yeah!!! J**** had been drunk earlier that week and well -- I'll tell you about that one later.

J**** came home from work Thursday and I was sitting on the back porch smoking a cigarette and shaking. I emailed work and asked to go ahead and take my vacation until the holiday was over. My boss said "Go for it." So I did.

So -- here is what I did on my summer vacation -- literally it sucked!!

Wednesday -- Nutty day!!! Sick, sick, sick to stomach. Layed on couch all day.

Thursday -- I called in and said to myself -- rejuvenate, accomplish, organize, and love my children who need some attention until the Fifth of July. So -- J**** immediately says, we have to go to Frankfort and take Dad to court. Huh? Me? I'm off for ME. Heavy sigh -- away we go. I go to grocery while they are in court, they get done and go over to a court appointed DUI program and sign up (progress, yay!) We go to the Dad's house -- NO FOOD, NO NOTHING. He comes home with us. Yep -- I guess he's here to stay. He is helping to clean the house.

Friday -- We clean house, J**** sleeps, my friend M***** is opening a new BBQ restaurant and we are invited to the premier night. We all go and take Dad. We are second in line at her restaurant and Dad has a seizure. He has been good and hasn't drank since Sunday. He also hasn't been to bed in almost 48 hours. I'd say a combination of the two and that he is prone to have seizures (we counted about seven in the last few years). We got our food to go and spent the evening in the E.R. The kids were standing beside him when he had the seizure. 2 year old kept saying all night long "Papaw Fall." Almost 6 year old cried and a good friend of mine from work and his wife took her to the side and prayed with her. Thank goodness for M&D they took care of my babies during the crisis. My 7 year old had to ask a million questions. I think it scared them pretty bad. We went to the hospital and the kids and I had a picnic in the back of the van while J**** tended to his father in the E.R. The kids wanted to see Papaw so J**** later took them back one at a time to see him. While we were having our picnic we got to see the Emergency helicopter take off. The kids thought that was neat. J**** came out and told us it would be another hour -- so we ran over to Wal-Mart and F**** got to use her birthday gift card and buy her a new dress. G***** got one too, and D***** got some big boy undies.

Saturday -- House cleaning. J**** sleeping after he gets home from work. J**** is a major grump. Papaw is a good help with cleaning, but I know that he is not feeling well. We grill out, J**** just keeps yelling at kids, there are comments about their whining and not listening. My GOD they just saw their Papaw have a seizure the night before, things are a little topsy turvy. J**** is triggered. Before I put the kids to bed, he says that he is going to the store to get a soda. I knew better so stayed in bed. He got drunk -- I slept. He was real sick the next day -- serves him right.

Sunday -- Church in the morning. My Daddy needed a new table saw and had been griping to go get one for a couple of days. I get home from church and call Daddy to tell him I'd take him to get it (he is 70). He's a mouthy old grump. We go to Sears and get him a table saw -- we actually had a nice time. I was shocked. I was dreading going with him, but it worked out. He talked a lot about missing his old friends that have passed on and especially missing his big brother. Bless his heart. We went to church in the evening and they had singing -- at the end, they asked for people who need help to "come forward." I raised my hand, since Ms. G***** was asleep in my lap and asked for everyone's prayers since J**** had started drinking again. Everyone wanted to know how to help. I said pray and take him under your wings.

Monday -- J**** has to work first shift. I'm home with kids and Dad. I finally get the upstairs clean -- our bedrooms have floors. WOW. If you had seen it before this you would understand what a major accomplishment this is. We take the kids to the library program and they have a blast. While in the library we run a few errands. Papaw applies for a few jobs, we get prescriptions filled -- I ask him if he has his prescription for Depakote so I can fill it for him. He didn't bring it -- I was going to pay for it. He's stubborn. J**** comes home from work and tells me (not ask me) that his dad wants to be moved out of his apartment by Wednesday. Now I'm pissed -- ummmm when were you going to tell me. I knew it was inevitable, but you should have told me sooner, or discussed with me, or something. My goodness. The rest of the night wasn't too bad, but I did retreat to my room upstairs to sulk. I explain to 7 year old that he has come to stay and she cried and said that now he is the boss. I say NO -- Daddy & Mommy are the bosses, he lives by our rules -- you only mind him when he is correcting you for doing something, but he is NOT the boss.




Tuesday -- that is today, it is a new day. J**** and his Dad have both renewed their vow to stay alcohol free. I've got my great niece staying the night tonight.

--I'll give my feelings, updates, etc... in a later post. No privacy right now. I need to scrub the toilets. Anyway -- this vacation has sucked.

Thank you Charming!!! I think he's going to take you up on that.

Stay tuned for the next exciting episode...

2 comments:

Syd said...

Many alcoholics make promises. If he isn't in AA and working that 12 step program, there will be little chance that he will stop drinking or recover. But the real pain that I read here is about you. Do yourself a favor and go to an Al-Anon meeting. You'll find many others who have problems just like what you are facing. They will show you the way to achieve peace and happiness whether the alcoholic is drinking or not.

Nicki said...

Sounds like a lovely vacation.

Seriously, I'm happy for you that you got so much accomplished around the house. THAT has to make you feel good!