Thursday, September 28, 2006

And the Rains Came Tumbling Down...

Can't help but sing the song we learned in Sunday schoo l.

The rains came down,
and the floods came up,

The rains came down,
and the floods came up,

The rains came down,
and the floods came up,

and the house on the sand fell FLAT.

Well my house isn't build on sand, but evidently the water table is close to my foundation. The den (lower level of a split level - partially underground) had water seepage during a torrential rain on Friday night. Six inches of rain is what we got. It is raining again today. Did you know that water seepage is not covered under your standard homeowners policy? Rain damage from roof runoff yes, but not from seepage. Evidently seepage is a flooding term and I need a flood rider. Well, I live in town, no creeks, no river, no ocean, no hurricanes, just plain ol' suburbia. Who-da-thunk I'd need flood insurance. Live and learn.

Do you know that if you rent a carpet cleaner from the Kroger store, it specifically says "Do not run with the tank empty?" So--hehehehehehehe I broke the rules and ran it with the tank empty. Sucked up a lot of water, but the pad under the carpet is still wringing wet. Carpets are almost clean.

Where I work we fuss about mold issues, cause mold can kill ya I here. So-don't won't mold where my babies play.

Anywho--no one is helping me, "what's new?"

Had to waste my leave time to do something that I kind of sorta consider to be the man's responsibility.

Yes, I'm bitching.

Went outside this morning in the rain ("yep, she don't have sense to come in out of the rain.") and surveyed how the water around my foundation was acting. I moved my landscaping rock which seems to be damming the water making it stand near the house. I made fake little gulleys
that led the water away from my house and orneriness just stared at me like I'd lost my mind. But, he went to work and is pouring concrete in the rain today. Now, who's crazy.

Observations:
  • A 27" TV is very heavy--good thing I'm an ol' country girl and can handle this sort of thing.
  • You find lots of wierd things under the couch and loveseat when you have three kids.
  • Behind the couch must be a good place to hide your alcohol from your wife.
  • When running the carpet cleaner with the tank full -- the tank that holds the used water well--ewww--can you say "mud," we must be some dirty folks.
  • Water that comes in from the outside smells "ewwww"--like ammonia.
  • Lots of people give advice, but no one offers to help. (Except my mama.)
  • A shelf made of particle board disintegrates when wet, therefore spewing books and CD's all over the floor.
  • A wet vac will pick up more dirt than my Hoover vacuum.
  • When the main living room of the house is out of order the rest of the house gets wrecked proportionately by three bored young'ns.
  • I'm stalling so I don't have to work....
Hmmmmm....well...alright I'm putting off the inevitable. Back to work to the task at hand. All of my furniture is piled up in one corner of the den.

Really, I'm too old for this.

UPDATE:

Around 5:00 p.m. I called J****'s coworker to find out when they would be home; the girls had dance class and the son was not feeling well so I wanted him to stay with the son while I took carpet cleaner back to rental place and took care of girls. CoWorker told me that they stopped working at 1:00pm and he dropped J**** off downtown.

I called the pool hall and "Shaggy" (his nickname) was there shooting pool. I yelled at him and told him that I had been working my ass off all day, hurt my back, doing things that were his responsibility and he disgusted me. He is home, he is sober, and he is in bed pouting. Right now he makes me SICK.

No comments: