Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Publicly Humiliated



THE EMAIL

______________________________________________

From: ************************** Human Resources
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 3:24 PM
To: All Users
Subject: Illnesses

There have been several instances in the past few weeks of employees with illnesses that may be contagious coming to work. A number of employees have indicated concern about the risk of catching something from these individuals. The most recent example is pink eye (conjunctivitis). We need to be sensitive to others. If you have a contagious illness, you should see a doctor and you should stay home until you are no longer contagious. Thank you.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pink-eye/DS00258

MY RESPONSE ONLY SENT TO MY BOSS

_____________________________________________
From: Me
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 3:34 PM
To: Boss
Subject: FW: Illnesses

Now I feel like a leper.

I did not come in here contagious. I did not contract pinkeye until April 11 at which time I did stay home.

The one day that there was a risk the only area that could be effected would have been my office or the bathroom and hand sanitizer was used every 15 minutes.

If anyone has contracted it -- it is not from me.

I am usually not easily offended, but I now feel publicly embarrassed.

Since I look like crap and to make everyone feel more comfortable do I need to leave and return when I am no longer offensive?

Sorry,
Me


AFTER I STEWED AND LITERALLY BROKE DOWN INTO TEARS

----Original Message-----
From: Me
Sent: Wed 4/18/2007 3:40 PM
To: Boss
Subject: RE: Illnesses

I'm gone -- gonna noodle this one over -- may not be here until I look well -- may go to doctor tomorrow to satisfy everyone.

I'm not happy right now.

I have wide shoulders, I can carry a great load, but with what I have been through this last two weeks, that was the "straw." I do know one other person in the office has conjunctivis and I have not been near her or on her floor of the building during my bout with conjunctivitis.

Yes, I look like hell. My eyes are still puffy, I can't wear makeup because like a little kid, I kept rubbing my eyes and made the skin around my eyes very raw .

And, yes I cried -- the tears just rolled out, I couldn't control it. Now, if you know anything about tough ol' country girls it is this. If they cry, they aren't being dramatic, they aren't being a boo-whiney, they ARE PISSED OFF and GET THE HELL OUT OF THEIR WAY!!!!

So, I used my better judgment and got out of there before I said or did something that I would regret tomorrow.

Just venting -- I feel a little better -- not much, but I do. I still just don't see why HR director couldn't have sent the email without mentioning a specific condition. It would have been just as effective without this sentence and the link, "The most recent example is pink eye (conjunctivitis)."

Oh yeah -- I shut my office door and hung up a sign that says Quarantined.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder what your boss had to say when reading those emails, that WAS a bit cold and underhanded to specifically name one condition. If you have sick time saved up, I think now would be the perfect time to take it!