Sunday, March 11, 2007

I am Church of Christ


Several people lately have asked me what are you? I'm a Christian
No, what denomination? I'm not in any denomination
NO, what church do you attend? Church of Christ
Ohhhhh, which one? THE Church of Christ
No, no, no -- liberal or conservative? If I have to choose I'd say conservative.
Oh, I see.
------------------
Well, no they don't see. Let me tell you what I see.

I was born and raised in THE Church of Christ. I will joke with folks and say, "Yep, that's okay, we're the only one's going to heaven." But, it's not a joke. However, I cannot judge, I am not GOD. God is a God of grace. But I do know that God is NOT one to be tempted. Matthew 4:7, " It is written again Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God."So, if I am not to tempt God -- then I had best be doing what HE wants me to do and not what I want to do.

People will say -- oh you go to that Church that doesn't have music. No, we have music. Then they'll say -- no you don't have a piano. Correct, we do not worship God with instrumental music. We read Ephesians 5:19, "Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord." and Colossians 3:16 "Let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord." He commanded me to sing. I sing. So they say -- But David sang and played the harp. Yeah, so. David also sacrificed lambs and goats. Well, I can't enjoy it if it is a capella, it doesn't sound as good. Hmmm, then are you listening to the words or the melody? Speaking, teaching, admonishing those are the purposes of the songs. I am a classically trained musician, an instrument at that. My clarinet never taught me about God. It never admonished me and thankfully it never spoke to me.

So what about your creed? We have the Bible. What is your doctrine? The Bible. Your bylaws? The Bible. No what other document do you use...None in Revelation 22:18 & 19, it says, "If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues written in this book: and if any man shall take away from the words..." You see, I really don't want God mad at me. I made a comment to a friend the other day and his comment to me was, the Bible doesn't say you can't. Well yes it does...reread this paragraph.

Folks think that the Church of Christ is backward. No, we are probably the least backward Church a going...why? We try to follow what the Bible says, we beg you to correct us if we are wrong, we don't bind any other rules on you that the Lord did not place in the Bible. Because of this we do not change. Now you'll say -- see you are backward you do not change. Well, if that is the case then you can just throw Jesus Christ out of religion because you think he's backward. But, according to Hebrews 13:8 "Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today and forever." He goes on to say..."Be not carried about with diverse and strange doctrines." I think we are supposed to be like Jesus, isn't that what those WWJD bracelets meant?

Yes, we say that we are the One true church. Why? because we are trying to do ONLY as the Bible says. We are not adding creeds, heirarchical structures with men in ranking positions, no business ties, no profit making, we are not a place for entertainment or dining. We are your brothers and sisters and we worship God. We love one another and we strive to be like Christ. No we are not a denomination because God says, I Corinthians 1:10, ..."that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment." The only way to have NO divisions is to follow only what God has spoken.

But mainly, the Church of Christ and it's people are to strive to be kind and gentle, a peculiar people, loving our enemies and our friends. We should be the lights of the world.

I know that if it hadn't been for my beliefs taught by the Church and the Church urging me to study and turn to His word, I would not have made it through a whole lot of the stuff that I have made it through. Abusive ex husband, alcoholic father and husband, money problems, depressions, the Church of Christ has given me Faith, Hope, Grace, and all of that.

So what am I, I am God's child.

4 comments:

Sober Steve said...

I'm just another Child of God stopping bye just to say HI. And passing along Gods Love

peace
Hugs and Kisses
Steve

Anonymous said...

Hey,I just wanted to tell you how proud I am of you and your husband. I'm glad to see the progress you are making.I don't read all of your blog,just bits and pieces,but it seems like you are going in the right direction. I also would applaud you for your stand for the truth and sticking to the Word.I think the Church really has to be careful not to go against God's word while adapting to cultural changes.
Truckmeck67

Anonymous said...

well i understand the not using instruments because of those peticular verses but the bible also says in Psalm 150:3-5 - Praise Him with the trumpet, harp, etc.

so i guess you're not fully right.
in my opinion baptist are the only denomination that fully follow exactly what the bible says

Anonymous said...

To the second anonymous:
The Old Testament contains the old covenant which was set forth by God in Leviticus. It contains the laws about eating clean animals,making offerings, resting on the sabbath, and other laws. The new covenant began in the new testament on the death of Jesus. The new covenant laws were spoken through the apostles. Examples of these include biblical divorce, qualifications for elders, the rejection of homosexuals, the use of acappella music, and others.